- We use recycled packaging and steel in our products (especially, the springs in our hybrid mattress!) and product packaging.
- Our Virginia Beach headquarters runs on renewable energy.
- We have worked hard to decrease our shipping distances from the factory to your doorstep. This has cut down on the environmental impact our delivery trucks make on the planet (and gets you your products faster).
You can Make the World a Little Better
Sure, it's easier to see how a company or business can make a positive environmental impact, but you can show the planet some love, too. So many people have the someone-else-will-do-it, I’m-just-one-person mentality when it comes to green living. But, that’s not the case! If everyone did their small part, together, we could change the world.
We’re sharing some of our favorite ways you can be more green, from adjusting your simple, every day tasks to making bigger lifestyle changes:
Save some for the fish—seriously! We're not saying take less showers, but you don’t have to make huge life changes to conserve a little water. The planet will thank you (and so will your wallet when your water bill comes).
- Turn off the water while you’re brushing your teeth
- Only run the dishwasher when it’s full (and washing your dishes by hand occasionally!)
- Only do laundry when you have a full load, which means you’ll do fewer loads total and overall, use less water
- Install low-flow shower heads and faucets
Make Conscious Changes
You don’t have to have a complete lifestyle change to be more green. Just like conserving water, there are small choices you can make every day to live a more sustainable life.
- Turn off lights and ceiling fans when you leave the room.
- Switch your lightbulbs to LEDs or CFLs. (This can be a little bit of an investment, so do it light by light to switch all of your bulbs out over time.)
- Open windows and turn off the thermostat when the weather permits.
- Make use of natural light whenever you can. Open curtains and blinds and don’t turn on artificial light until it’s necessary.
- Use Tupperware instead of plastic bags.
- Use reusable cloth napkins and towels instead of paper napkins and paper towels.
- Grow your own herbs. Buying them in store isn't great for the environment. Plus, how convenient would it be to be able to grab fresh cilantro from your own back yard?!
- Make sure your home is properly insulated. Both in the summer and the winter, insulation saves your thermostat from working overtime.
- Get a reusable water bottle and refill at the tap or water fountain. Tip: when you do recycle water bottles, make sure you remove the cap (it can't be recycled the same as the bottle!).
- When you can, wash your laundry in cold water instead of hot.
- Skip the dryer and air-dry your laundry.
- Drive less. Walk or ride your bike when you can. Carpool with coworkers and friends.
- Become a reducetarian. The production of red meat, poultry, seafood, milk and eggs puts off a lot of methane (a greenhouse gas). We’re not saying become a vegetarian or vegan, but being more aware of what you’re eating and making better choices can make a difference.
There are also some bigger changes you can make to live a more sustainable, greener life. Some of these updates and upgrades may cost a little more up front but are great for the planet and can save you money down the line.
- Install eco-friendly appliances. Look for energy-star labels.
- Install a smart thermostat.
- Building or remodeling? Use sustainable material, which, on average, only costs 3-5% more than traditional materials.
- Install solar panels and run your home on renewable energy. (Tip: if you produce more solar energy than you use, you may be able to sell it back to your state or local government.)
Buy Environmentally-Friendly Products
What you buy makes a difference. When you do your research and purchase environmentally-sustainable products, you’re voting with your dollar—rewarding environmentally-conscious companies and encouraging change in companies who aren’t using sustainable practices.
Look for companies that are certified B Corporations and those that are striving for sustainability in their businesses.
Whether you make it your goal to cut down on your water usage or decide it's time for energy-efficient appliances or solar panels, you can make conscious choices that help make the world a little better.
At Leesa, we want to make the world a better, more restful place. We make mattresses, pillows and sleep accessories so that you can get your best sleep.